Fellow bloggers Imyril and Bookforager recommended this meme (though they didn’t originate it themselves) so I thought it a fun task for a post here. Maybe it’s one which may inspire you to attempt something similar.
1. Choose 5 books which you gave 5 stars [I’ve chosen fantasy titles books, read in 2019, which I rated on Goodreads].
2. Share 5 words that in some way describe why you liked it so much [I’ve used descriptive phrases rather than standalone adjectives].
3. Give no other explanations of those words. Some of the words may only make sense if you’ve read it yourself. [You might guess my reasons for liking these books despite the brevity.]
1. Philip Pullman’s Northern Lights:
Alethiometer’s warning for children’s daemons
2. Neil Gaiman’s The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch:
Childhood puppet trauma graphically described
3. Diana Wynne Jones’ Howl’s Moving Castle:
Intimations of mortality haunt Sophie
4. Ursula Le Guin’s Tales from Earthsea:
Fantasies with acute female perspectives
5. Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Secret Garden:
Out of tragedy emerges hope
Apologies if you find these utterances a little too genomic!